Road Transport & Heavy Vehicles
Road Transport and Heavy Vehicle Driver Training Courses
Smiths Training Services offer training in all areas of road transport. Certificate IV in Heavy Vehicle Driving Instruction and Queensland Transport authorised heavy vehicle driver trainer with over 20 years experience in the transport industry.
Smiths Training Services offer training in:
Light Rigid to Multi-Combination driver training and assessments
Be taught the right way to operate a heavy vehicle, not just drive one. We will teach you from the beginning starting
- Pre-departure inspections
- How to correctly complete a work diary
- Load security and restraints
- Route navigation
- Hazard and defect reporting
- Hazard perception
- Use of non-synchromesh gear boxes
- Vehicle mass and dimensions
- Obligations under WH&S, CoR and fatigue
Slewing cranes up to 60 tonnes
Smiths Training Services also offers on site training for mobile slewing cranes up to 60 tonnes.
Bridge and gantry cranes by remote operation
Smiths Training Services also offers on site training for bridge and gantry cranes by remote operation.
Pre-employment and ongoing driver assessments
Make sure you have the right people operating your vehicles. Let’s face it, over many years of driving we can all become a little bit complacent in the way we perform our jobs, so ask yourself…
- What is the drivers attitude to the general public and customers like?
- Do they maintain safe traveling distances and have good hazard perception?
- What are their driving skills like?
- Do they use the appropriate PPE?
- Do they use the correct trailer coupling procedures?
- Do they perform pre and post departure vehicle inspections?
- Do they use 3 points of contact when entering or exiting the vehicle?
- What are their restraint methods and axle weight distributions like?
- What is their general knowledge of the road rules?
Dangerous Goods, licensing and awareness courses
These are a 2-day dangerous goods licensing course delivered under the new 7th Edition of the Australian Dangerous Goods Code. We also offer short 4 hour dangerous goods awareness courses.
Safe Load Passes
These are specific to the petroleum industry and will help you gain employment within this industry.
Certificates I, II and III in Transport and Logistics, obtain these qualifications for your years of experience in the Transport industry.
Obtain your BFM to enable you to drive/work up to 14 hours
Covers so much and is tailored to suit your needs including,
- Friction co-efficiencies
- Load positioning
- Restraint methods
- Lashing angles
- Maximum weights for restraints
Manual Handling and Loadshifting
Chain of Responsibility